Barrie Real Estate & Homes For Sale
Barrie is a city located on the shores of Kempenfelt Bay, the western arm of Lake Simcoe. Located in the central portion of Southern Ontario, the town is approximately 80 km (50 mi) north of Toronto. The city covers an area of 99.04 km². In 1812, a storehouse was built here to use this site as a depot during World War I. The storehouse was also used as the landing and starting point of the Nine-Mile-Portage, a military supply route. A permanent settlement was settled in 1828, named after Commodore Robert Barrie, the commander of a naval squadron at Kingston, Ontario. The economy then was wholly dependent on agriculture and lumbering.
Barrie Real Estate Trends and Information
As per the 2016 census, Barrie, Ontario, was 141,434 people, which rose from 136,063 in 2011 to 141,434 in 2016. The number of women in Barrie outnumbers the number of men by 4345 people. The largest minority population in Barrie is the Blacks (27.89%), followed by South Asians, which account for 3,035 people. The third-largest minority population in Barrie is the Chinese community, making up around 12.94 percent.
Homes For Sale in Barrie
Dwellings in Barrie are of various types based on their structure, including apartments, townhouses, detached and semi-detached houses.
- Single Detached Houses: 50,140
- Other Attached Dwellings: 18,355
- Semi Detached Houses: 2,350
- Other Single Attached Houses: 85
The average household size was 2.7.
People living in private households were 194,445.
Barrie Housing Market
Average Property Types: $463,440
Average Price of Condos: $403,464
- Average price of one-bedroom condos: $399,703
- Average price of two-bedroom condos: $394,408
- Average price of three-bedroom condos: $454,458
Average price of condo townhomes: $348,846
- Average price of two-bedroom condo townhouses: $390,264
- Average price of three-bedroom condo townhouses: $347,341
- Average price of four-bedroom condo townhouses: $348,846
Average price of freehold townhouses: $473,209
- Average price of two-bedroom freehold townhouses: $471,478
- Average price of three-bedroom freehold townhouses: $481,529
- Average price of four-bedroom freehold townhouses: $513,863
Average price of detached homes in barrie: $627,298
- Average price of two-bedroom detached homes: $587,261
- Average price of three-bedroom detached homes: $583,753
- Average price of four-bedroom detached homes: $719,822
- Average price of five-bedroom detached homes: $848,264
- Currently, the average rent for a 1-bedroom apartment in Barrie, ON is $1,600. This indicates a 14% increase as compared to the previous year.
- Currently, the average rent for a 2-bedroom apartment in Barrie, ON, is $1,800. This indicates a 14% increase in comparison to the previous year.
The schools in Barrie are managed by four school boards which include two English boards and two French boards:
-The Simcoe County District School Board (ENGLISH)
-Simcoe Muskoka Catholic District School Board (ENGLISH)
-Conseil scolaire catholique MonAvenir (FRENCH)
-Conseil scolaire Viamonde (FRENCH)
The Georgian College has its main campus located in Barrie, which provides education to 10,000 full-time students and around 25,000 part students. In addition, it attracts international students from over 85 countries, with nearly 4500 international students currently studying on the main campus.
The tourism sector contributes highly to the economy of Barrie. Following is the list of industries in Barrie:
- Healthcare and social assistance
- Accommodation and food services
- Professional, scientific, and technical services
- Administrative and support
- Simcoe County District School Board: 6,600 employees
- Canadian Forces Base Borden: 20,000 soldiers
- Honda of Canada Manufacturing: 4200 employees
- Simcoe Muskoka Catholic District School Board: 3,000 employees
- Casino Rama Resort: 2700 employees
- Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre: 2,500 employees
- Georgian College: 2250 employees
- County of Simcoe government: 1750 employees
- MacLaren Art Centre: This museum dates back to 1989 when a local collector donated her Victorian Age home to Arts. This is an attractive heritage building that features numerous creations from Canada’s best-known artists. Summer camps are also available here for kids, along with tours and workshops. A café and a gift selling shop are also open here; it exhibits the collections and arts and crafts made locally in the area.
- Arboretum Sunnidale Park: This park is Barrie’s most significant urban municipal park, surrounded by Sunnidale Road, Cundles Rd W, Coulter St and Highway 400. It is a pleasant green space to explore with a lush green botanical collection of green plants, and there are around 1800 shrubs and trees and numerous flower beds.
- Historic Fort Willow: Fort Willow is a forested park featuring a wooden fort that served as a supply depot during the War of 1812. Some other places of recreation in Barrie include:
- Waterfront Barrie Centennial Park
- Canadian Forces Base Borden
FAQs (Barrie Real Estate)
- Q1 What is the average rent for a 1-bedroom apartment in Barrie, ON ?
The average rent for a 1-bedroom apartment in Barrie, ON is $1,600.
- Q2 What is the average rent for a 2-bedroom apartment in Barrie, ON ?
The average rent for a 2-bedroom apartment in Barrie, ON is $ 1800.
- Q3 What is the average price of all property types in Barrie ?
The average rent of all property types in Barrie is $463,440.
- Q4 What is the average price of Detached homes in Barrie ?
The average price of detached homes in Barries is $627,298.
- Q5 How much does a condo apartment in Barrie ?
The average price of a condo apartment in Barrie costs around $403,464.