Scarborough Real Estate & Homes For Sale
Scarborough is a city located on the eastern side of Toronto, on the shore of Lake Ontario. In 1998, Scarborough was amalgamated with five other cities to form Toronto, also called The Six. It covers an area of 187.7 square kilometres.
Due to its location, Scarborough has comfortable summers. On the other hand, the winters are in extremes, i.e. freezing and dry summers. Overall, the temperature in Scarborough varies from -8.88 °C to 25.5°C. The temperature is rarely above 29.44°C and below -18.33°C. Scarborough experiences variations in rainfall throughout the year. The rainy period in Scarborough lasts for 11 months, which is from February to January. The rainless period in Scarborough lasts for nearly 3.3 months, from January to February.
Earlier, the city was called Glasgow. But in 1793, Elizabeth Simcoe, wife of Lieutenant-Governor John Graves Simcoe, renamed the city after the same name city (Scarborough) in England. Scarborough was given to Glasgow because its coastal bluffs resembled the cliffs at Scarborough, England. In the year 1900, the population of Scarborough was only 3,911. But, just like other cities adjoining Toronto, the population in Scarborough surged after World War II. Scarborough was incorporated as a city in 1983, but after 15 years in 1998, it lost its title after amalgamating to form the City of Toronto.
Scarborough Real Estate Trends and Information
The population of Scarborough as per the 2016 Census was 112,603. This indicated a 3.5% growth rate in population as compared to the number of residents in 2011. As a result, the population density of Scarborough is 3994 per square kilometre.
- Age: The average age of the city residents is 40.6 years. The working-age group makes up the largest age category, i.e. 67.6%. Surprisingly, kids under 14 years of age and elderly people between 65-84 years have an equal number of individuals and both categories account for 16.2% individually. The age group of 85+ years makes around 2.8% of the total population.
- Immigration: Majority of the population residing here is foreign-born. Most of the immigrants migrated here in the last four decades. A large portion of the population, i.e. 41%, is from Asia, with significant numbers from China and South Asia. Some other communities seen here include Black and Hispanics accounting for 10% and 6% of Scarborough population, respectively.
- Education: School education is under the control of four school boards. These school boards provide elementary and secondary education. The four boards operate as either English or French first language school boards. These are as follows:
- Toronto District School Board
- Toronto Catholic District School Board
- Conseil scolaire catholique MonAvenir
- Conseil scolaire Viamonde
Education in Scarborough has attracted students from all over the world. Some of the best post-secondary institutions are as follows:
- Stanford International College
- Herzing College Scarborough
- Canadian Business College
There are plethora of companies that have headquarters in Scarborough, Ontario:
- Elizabeth Grant International
- Enterprise Holdings, Inc.
- President's Choice Financial
House For Sale in Scarborough
Property Type Distribution
- Single Detached Houses: 13,910
- Other Attached Dwellings: 9,885
- Semi Detached Houses: 775
- Other Single Attached House: 40
The total number of persons in private households was 110,510
The average household size was 2.7
Scarborough Housing Market
- Average Property Price: $889,252
- Average Sold Price: $1,049,763
- Price Change: 35.85% increase
- Average Sold Price: $848,48
- Price Change: 38.69% increase
- Average Sold Price: $669,325
- Price Change: 35.83% increase
- Average Sold Price: $585,075
- Price Change: 39.09% increase
- Currently, the average rent for a one-bedroom apartment in Scarborough City Centre, Toronto, is $1825. This indicates a 1% increase in rent as compared to the previous year.
- Presently, the average rent for a two-bedroom apartment in Scarborough is $ 2045. There is a 7% decrease in rent of 2-bedroom apartments as compared to the previous year.
- SCARBOROUGH MUSEUM: The museum depicts the history of Scarborough, which ranges from the early settlements to the development of the city. This museum is located on the property of David and Mary Thomson, who first settled in Scarborough in the late 1790s.
- ROUGE NATIONAL URBAN PARK: This park is open year-round, and it is an excellent way to escape the bustling city without actually leaving the city behind. Rouge National Urban Park has a beach, and it is also a suitable place for bird watching.
- BEACHES: Located at the southern end of Brimley Road, Bluffers Beach is known as one of the most beautiful beaches in Toronto. Rouge Park Beach is another beach in Scarborough which is suitable for swimming in Lake Ontario. In addition, many exciting activities such as canoeing, kayaking and paddleboarding are available at this beach.
- KIDSTOWN WATERPARK: This place is perfect for families with kids. This is the only water park operated by the City of Toronto. A wide range of fun activities are offered, including tipping buckets, spray rings, squirting aquatic animals, a slide, wading pool, and splash pad.
- SCARBOROUGH BLUFFS: Scarborough bluffs is a significant geographical feature formed by the accumulation of sedimentary deposits with the help of wind and water erosion from Lake Ontario. These bluffs stretch over a distance of 15 km.
FAQs (Scarborough Real Estate)
- Q1: What is the average monthly rent of a one-bedroom apartment in Scarborough ?
The average rent for a 1-bedroom apartment in Scarborough City Centre, Toronto, is $1825.
- Q2: What is the average monthly rent of a two-bedroom apartment in Scarborough ?
The average rent for a 2-bedroom apartment in Scarborough City Centre, Toronto, is $2045.
- Q3: What is the Benchmark price for all housing property types in Scarborough ?
The benchmark price for all housing types is $889,252.
- Q4: What is the rate of population growth in Scarborough ?
Scarborough witnessed a 3.5% population growth rate from 2011 to 2016.
- Q5: How much area is covered under Scarborough ?
Scarborough covers an area of 188.7 square kilometres.