Whitby Real Estate Trends and Information
As per the 2016 Canada Census, the population of Whitby reached 128,377, with an increase of 6355 people witnessed a 5.2% increase in population from 2011 to 2016. The population density of Whitby is 875.00/km², and the total area of the town is 147 km². The average age in the city is 38.4 years, whereas the median age is 39.5 years. The working class (15 -64 years) constitutes 67.2% of the total population. The youngest age group follows the working-age group, making around 19.9% of the population. The smallest age group is the eldest people, who account only for 1.7% of the population. Whitby's total number of immigrants is 29,555, with around 2,140 new immigrants in the city from 2011 to 2016. About 730 people here are non-permanent residents. For the visible minority group, the Black population stands first with 8% of the total population, whereas South Asians stand second, making up 6.6% of the Whitby population. The Chinese group makes the third-largest minority population.
Homes For Sale in Whitby
Dwellings in Whitby are of various types based on their structure, including apartments, rowhouses, detached houses, and semi-detached houses.
- Total number of Single Detached Houses: 18,780
- Other Attached Dwellings: 9,485
- Semi Detached Houses: 2,345
- Other Single-Attached House: 10
People living in private households was 90,995.
The average household size was 2.9.
Whitby Housing Market
Average price of all property types in Whitby: $628,693
Average price of Condos in Whitby: $506,253
- Average price of 1-bedroom Condos: $442,217
- Average price of 2-bedroom Condos: $569,043
- Average price of 3-bedroom Condos: $484,426 Average price of Condo Townhomes in Whitby: $502,061
- Average price of 2-bedroom Condo Townhouses: $474,763
- Average price of 3-bedroom Condo Townhouses: $505,533
- Average price of 4-bedroom Condo Townhouses: $475,522
Average price of Freehold Townhouses: $665,862
- Average price of 2-bedroom Freehold Townhouses: $656,985
- Average price of 3-bedroom Freehold Townhouses: $668,926
- Average price of 4-bedroom Freehold Townhouses: $675,935
Average price of Detached Homes: $839,036
- Average price of 2-bedroom Detached Homes: $768,704
- Average price of 3-bedroom Detached Homes: $746,583
- Average price of 4-bedroom Detached Homes: $941,749
- Average price of 5-bedroom Detached Homes: $1,091,057
- Currently, the average rent for a 1-bedroom apartment in Whitby, ON is $1,635. This indicates a 7% increase as compared to the previous year.
- Currently, the average rent for a 2-bedroom apartment in Whitby, ON is $1,750. This indicates a 6% increase as compared to the previous year.
In Whitby, North Yorkshire County Council manages and provides educational services. Whitby has a three-tier school system, primary, middle (11–14) and Caedmon College (11–19), which was formed in 2014 from the merger of Caedmon School (11–14) and Whitby Community College (14–19). Some of the primary schools in Whitby are as below:
- St Hilda's Roman Catholic Primary School
- Stakesby Community Primary School
- West Cliff Primary School
- Airy Hill Community Primary School
- East Whitby Community Primary School
- Camp X (Intrepid Park): Camp X used to be a school for secret agents. The school trained agents (1941 to 1945) to parachute into Nazi-occupied territory. The visitors can go back in time while taking walking tours. The camp is located at Intrepid Park; people walk around the park and see the artifacts and learn about life at the secret agent school at that time.
- Port Whitby Marina: Port Whitby is a year-round facility that sits on Lake Ontario. The marina offers various sailing excursions, relaxing clubhouse, sailing, kayaking, fishing and paddleboarding. It is an award-winning, 420 slip, full-service marina.
- Downtown Whitby: The city’s downtown area is medium in size yet has a lot to offer. The site is quite charming with a mix of different businesses. It is full of boutiques, distinctive restaurants and historic buildings, with some spectacular architectural gems.
- Lynde House Museum: Originally a mansion, Lynde House Museum is presently converted into a fabulous museum. It was one of the first homes built in the town, and now it takes the general public back to the 1800s with the educational programs.
- Station Gallery: It is a community visual arts centre and a non-profit gallery that displays beautiful art pieces, including 300 pieces, prints, paintings, lithographs, and sculptures. The gallery offers classes to the aspirants and conducts special events, like live music and art talks.
FAQs (Whitby Real Estate)
- Q1 What is the average rent for a 1-bedroom apartment in Whitby, ON ?
- The average rent for a 1-bedroom apartment in Whitby, ON, is $1,635.
- Q2 What is the average rent for a 2-bedroom apartment in Whitby, ON ?
- The average rent for a 2-bedroom apartment in Whitby, ON, is $1,750.
- Q3 What is the average price of Detached homes in Whitby, ON ?
- The average price of Detached homes in Whitby, ON, is $839,036.
- Q4 What is the average price of condos in Whitby, ON ?
- The average price of condos in Whitby, ON, is $506,253.
- Q5 What is the average price of 3-bedroom Detached homes in Whitby, ON ?
- The average price of 3-bedroom Detached homes in Whitby, ON is $746,583.