Winnipeg Real Estate & Homes for Sale
Winnipeg is the capital city of the province of Manitoba. Besides, it is the largest city in the region, situated on the confluence of the Red and Assiniboine rivers. Thus, the city is also known as the Gateway of West.
The name Winnipeg of Cree origin was given to the lake 40 miles north, meaning win muddy nipee water. Despite the presence of fur trading posts in Winnipeg, the actual permanent settlement occurred in 1812, after the arrival of Scottish Crofters. The city was incorporated in 1873 with a population of only 1869 people. The arrival of the Canadian Pacific Railway in 1885 boosted urban development and brought prosperity to the city of Winnipeg. The influx of immigrants, plentiful capital, and improved farming techniques helped Winnipeg become Canada's administrative and financial capital. World War I resulted in low wheat prices, which resulted in economic stagnation in1940s. But in 1945, the economy of Winnipeg started to grow at a steady pace. Then, in 1972, 13 municipalities, towns and cities were amalgamated to form the unified city of Winnipeg.
Due to its location in Southern Manitoba, Winnipeg has a cold continental climate and experiences extremely cold temperatures. As a result, the city experiences short but very warm summers, whereas winters are long and quite brutal. Snow falls here in Winnipeg above 1 cm depth for nearly 132 days. Due to the lack of natural barriers in Winnipeg, the location at prairie acts as an impetus in making the climate windy.
Winnipeg Real Estate Trends and Information
The total population of Winnipeg in 2020 was 766,900. The population rose from 763,000, indicating an 0.5% population growth from the year 2019 to 2020. The population density of Winnipeg is 1,430 per km2.
- AGE: The average age of the residents of Winnipeg is 39.9 years. This means that the city is relatively youthful. The working-age group of 15 to 64 years comprises of majority of the population accounting for 67.5% of the total population. The working-age group is followed by the youngest residents (0- 14years), making around 16.8% of the total population. The smallest age group is that of 85+ years ones which make only 2.4%. Surprisingly, 240 people in Winnipeg crossed the age of 100 years.
- Immigrants: Nearly one-quarter of the population is comprised of immigrants. The most significant immigrants in Winnipeg are The Philippines, followed by India and China, respectively. Between 1980 to 2016, the considerable portion of immigrants that moved to Winnipeg were economic immigrants(65%), while family-sponsored 22% and only 13% were refugees. The immigrant policies of Winnipeg made it the third-largest city in Canada in 1911.
- Diversity: As per the 2011 survey, 21% of Winnipeg population didn't follow any religion, whereas the most followed religion in Winnipeg was Christianity (63.73%), followed by Islam (1.73%). People from various religions live here, which include Jewish (1.62%), Sikh (1.51%), Hindu (1.05%) and Buddhism (0.96%).
- Education: In Winnipeg, it is compulsory for every child of 7 to 18 years to attend school and get an education. The list of post-secondary institutions in Winnipeg is as follows:
- Manitoba Institute of Trades and Technology
- Red River College of Applied Arts, Science & Technology
- Canadian Mennonite University
- Assiniboine Community College
- International College of Manitoba
The economy of Winnipeg is the most diversified in the whole of Canada. Its economy mainly depends on aerospace, transportation, agri-business, manufacturing and insurance sectors. However, being the capital city, the biggest employer is the government itself. Around 14 percent of Winnipeg's workforce is in the public sector. The following data represents the number of employees employed by various sectors in Winnipeg:
- Health care & social assistance: 53,880
- Public administration: 34,145
- Educational services: 32,690
Homes For Sale in Winnipeg
Homes in Winnipeg are of various types based on their structure; these include Rowhouses, apartments, detached houses and semi-detached houses. Here's the property type distribution:
- Single Detached Houses: 166,955
- Other Attached Dwellings: 76,725
- Semi Detached Houses: 10,590
- Other Single Attached Houses: 320
The total number of persons in private households was 690,005
The average household size was 2.5
Winnipeg Housing Market
- In July 2021, the average sold price reached $355,653, indicating a 7% increase compared to July 2020.
Average Sold Prices
- All Property Types: $355,653
- Detached Houses: $377,789
- Attached Houses: $321,334
- Condos | Apartments: $258,770
All Housing Property Types
- All Property Types: $355,653
- Price Change: 7% increase
- Number of Transactions: 1,526
- Annual Percentage Change: 20% decrease
- Average Sold Price: $377,789
- Price Change: 6.9% increase
- Transactions: 14.3% decrease
- Average Sold Price: $321,334
- Price Change: 18% increase
- Transactions: 17% increase
Condos | Apartments
- Average Sold Price: $258,770
- Price Change: 10.1% increase
- Transactions: 0.9% increase
- Currently, the average rent for a 1-bedroom apartment in Winnipeg is $1207. There's a 3% increase in rent as compared to the previous year.
- Presently, the average rent for a 2-bedroom apartment in Winnipeg is $1299. There's a 1% increase in rent as compared to the previous year.
Winnipeg is a mesmerizing place, and it has many businesses which are worth visiting. With a balanced climate of hot summers and cold winters, the area has a lot to offer. The places worth visiting in Winnipeg are:
- Canadian Museum for Human Rights
- Festival du Voyageur – The winter festival
FAQ (Winnipeg Real Estate)
- Q1 What is the number of private dwellings in Winnipeg ?
There are around 281,050 private dwelling in Winnipeg.
- Q2 What is the average rent of a single bedroom apartment in Winnipeg ?
Currently, the average rent for a 1-bedroom apartment in Winnipeg, Canada is $1207.
- Q3 What is the average rent of a double bedroom apartment in Winnipeg ?
Currently, the average rent for a double bedroom apartment in Winnipeg, Canada is $1299.
- Q4 What is the population of Winnipeg ?
The population of Winnipeg in 2020 was 766,900.
- Q5 What is the average price of all housing types in Winnipeg ?
The average sold price of a house in Winnipeg is $355,653.